The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles - Karen Thompson Walker Fantastic. There are stories that just stick with you. That leave you thinking for long after the last page turn. Some of those for me are: The Lottery by Shirely Jackson, A Prayer for Owen Meaney and The World According to Garp by Irving, King's Needful Things and The Mist, Harrison Bergeron by Vonnegut and The Veldt by Bradbury, Ender's Game by Card and House of Leaves by Danielewski, and more recently The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (just thinking of it makes me feel rain and wind and smell cinnamon and caramel and leaves and want to wrap up in a big red scarf) as well as The Magicians by Lev Grossman (just how does one get to Brakebills anyway?).I get the impression that The Age of Miracles will be one of those books for me. As anyone who knows me can tell you, I love a good end of the world story. Or, more paticularly, destruction of the world. I love the stories that are completely wound up in that process of destruction. Forget post-apocalyptic, give me plain old apocalyptic. That being said, this genre is just exploding everywhere, and even I was getting a little tired of it. Walker has a whole new take, and it's terrible, in that it's completely believable. The characters react in much the way I think normal people would react to the gradual slowing of the spinning of the earth. Mostly, they just carry on the best that they can. They try to live the way they've always lived and when that no longer works, they adapt. There's discrimination, hate, love, fear, rebellion, tragedy, comedy and a very little courage. I highly recommend this book to, well, pretty much anyone. Pick it up, or if you know me and are close by, ask to borrow it.